Statistics Finland: Statistics on the activities of social services of municipalities/joint municipal boards
Statistics Finland gathers information on municipal finances and activities on a yearly basis. The statistics contain information on municipally-funded services, that is, services that the municipality provides itself to its inhabitants or purchases from other municipalities, municipal federations, the state or private providers. In this context, Statistics on Social Welfare and Health Care Activities have been compiled since 1994 by order of STAKES and, as of the beginning of 2009, by order of the National Institute for Health and Welfare (the result of a merger between STAKES and KTL). A predecessor to these statistics was a report system for social welfare and health care, maintained by the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health until 1993.
rehabilitation centres for substance abusers
specialised services for substance abusers
alcohol and drugs
Municipality, sub-region, region, area for the regional state administrative agency, major region, Mainland Finland/Åland, hospital district, university hospital special responsibility area, whole country
The indicator gives the number of clients in rehabilitation centres for substance abusers during the year. Each person is counted only once in the number of clients during the year, irrespective of how many times he or she has been registered as a client.
The data have been collected from 1997 onwards so as to describe the municipality's own provision, sale and purchase of services. The data are available according to the following classification:
1. "Municipality's own services" refers to services produced in the municipality's own units.
2. "Services sold by the municipality" refers to the sale of the services mentioned under item 1 to other municipalities, for instance.
3. "Services purchased from the state" refers to services purchased from state-owned units.
4. "Services purchased from municipalities" refers to services purchased from other municipalities.
5. "Services purchased from joint municipal boards" refers to all services purchased from joint municipal boards.
6. "Services purchased from others" mainly refers services purchased from the private sector.
7. "Services funded by the municipality" refers to the volume of services (or income transfers) that the municipality has funded for its inhabitants. The volume is calculated by subtracting the services sold by the municipality from the municipality's own provision and then adding the purchases (= 1-2+3+4+5+6).
THL: Statistics on specialised services for substance abusers